Moving is a big task even in good weather, but in the winter, it can become even more complex. Ice and snow can delay your move at best, and create dangerous situations at worst if you’re not prepared. At Fort Dearborn Relocation, our dedicated team’s highest priority is making your move in snowy conditions as smooth and safe as possible. Some useful moving tips when braving the snow include:
- Pack Emergency Supplies: An accident is the last thing you want to happen, but if you get stranded or stuck off the road it’s essential to have everything you need until help arrives. Pack food and water, extra gas, a spare tire, road flares, a first aid kit, a shovel, salt, and an emergency blanket. Make sure you’re a member or have access to a roadside assistance service such as AAA.
- Check Weather Forecast: Check the weather frequently, because winter weather is prone to change quickly.
- Shovel/Salt all Driveways and Walkways
As the homeowner, you’re responsible for keeping both your old and new homes clear of snow and ice on moving day. Shovel thoroughly and put down salt to ensure that your movers have safe access.
- Drive Slow! This one may seem obvious, but it’s important to remember on moving day when you might feel rushed.
- Protect Your Floors: In the winter, it’s hard not to track in snow and slush. Set down cardboard or plastic to protect your floors and keep them clean
Fort Dearborn Relocation has been moving families successfully in cold Chicago weather for over two decades. Contact us today with your requirements and receive a free moving quote!